Friday 10 October 2014

I am passionate about a girl's right to be squishy.

With summer safely over and the beginning of jumper season just around the corner most women I know are breathing a sigh of relief.

No more sucking it in at the poolside, no more agonising choices between "clean" eating or juicy burgers.


(CLUE: IT'S ALWAYS JUICY BURGERS)

I don't usually get involved in this kind of diet chat but more recently I've found myself pinching those extra inches around my hips and fretting about my rounded cider belly.

Not because I'm upset with my body (it works just fine) but because I'm getting married this month and every where I go people are asking me about my "wedding diet."

Which leaves me pondering other people's view on my squishy bits... Are these friends, colleagues and acquaintances asking about my diet because they think I'm CHUBBY?

But it's not their fault of course.

What we're all fighting against as women is this general attitude that for your body to be worthy you need to be toned - you need to have a tight tummy and long muscular legs and you certainly can't have two chins in photos... even if you are smiling your hardest.

And it's my wedding day so I'm supposed to want to be the most perfect princess bride, in the best shape of my life, sauntering down the aisle.

So it's not rude to suddenly ask me about my eating/dieting habits - it's the norm.

But the reality is I wouldn't be me if I wasn't looking forward to lunch whilst still full from breakfast.

And it's certainly not like me to fret about my lumps and bumps.

I'm not big by "normal" women's standards. I'm a typical UK shop bought size 12. And the magazines tell me I'm an apple shape, which I'd agree with... Mostly because they said Scarlett Johansson is one too.

I like to think I'm a toffee apple, with sticky thin legs and a sweet, delicious round middle.

I like having 'curves,' I think my body is soft and feminine and does its job of carting my soul around day-to-day just fine.

Thankfully my career isn't reliant on me having toned abs or pronounced cheekbones which is why I'm all for mayonnaise on my chips and chocolate with my wine.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to anyone going hungry for their art (if they'd rather not.)

I was lucky enough to grow up in a house where my mum encouraged and nurtured my positive body image.

And thankfully it's a gift that I carry with me today.

I truly never even once heard of mum going on a diet or moaning about her weight.

And if I dared mention my size or anyone else's she would be quick to correct me.

- Is this person smart, funny, nice to be around?

- Are they doing well at school, are they respectful, are they kind?

- What are your favourite things about them and why?

These questions were always so so much more important than what do they look like or how much do they weigh?

And ultimately that is how I need to look at myself in the run up to what I'm anticipating will be one of the best ever days in my life.

Will I be any less of a bride for not being a size 8? No.

Will I be loved any less, promised any less? No.

So next time someone asks me if I'm on a wedding diet I'll stop lying to fit in.

I'll stop pretending that I'm "trying to cut back" and "eating healthier."

Because there is so much more to my life than numbers on a scale or tape measure.

I've got a bangin' party to plan, with a killer buffet and booze on tap!

No room for calorie counting at our wedding.

See you on the other side ! xxxxxxxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment